Sunday 8 January 2012

Adventures with my sewing machine

For my birthday last month I got a sewing machine. It's something I have wanted for quite a while and I was very excited about it. My mum and my nanny have sewing machines and throughout my childhood they were always making and mending things. Also since I have been blogging I have seen some really creative thing by very creative people and have felt inspired, which I suppose is the whole point!

So back to my sewing machine, I decided to go for just a basic one and didn't want to spend too much money because even though I have always been around sewing machines I can't really use one! So this is it

Isn't she cool! I'm thinking about naming her, so any suggestions are welcome.
As December was fairly busy I hadn't really been able to have a play with her, but yesterday our time came. I have to admit I was quite nervous, husband and Phoebe the cat came to help, which was very helpful, actually husband was quite helpful, Phoebe the cat was not! After a bit of fiddling we managed to get her all set up, bobbin and all and had a few goes practising the stitches. 

I then decided I was ready to make something. For my birthday I also got a beautiful book to help with getting started with my sewing machine, called "The Busy Girls Guide to Sewing" . So I pulled it out I started on the first project in it and here's what I made

A giant pin cushion!

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself, not bad for my first project! It was fairly straight forward to make and I managed with no mistakes! Yay!

What have you made so far this year?

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! The quick projects are sometimes the most satisfying because you get to see instant results. Your machine is fabulous. Enjoy your new found world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep getting drawn to sewing machines even though I haven't used one since my teens. It must be very satisfying to make something quicker than it does to knit...you have a lovely pincushion!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you have a purple sewing machine! She's got a whole lot of personality all ready! :) I've never seen a giant pincushion, but I think this is a genius idea! Looking forward to lots of fun sewing projects!! Thanks for linking up to Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool colour! Love your pretty pin cushion too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous color your new sewing machine is! Can't wait to hear the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colour!! My baby is boring and white, but I love her anyway.

    ReplyDelete